Do you have fantasies about where you’d like to live someday? Maybe it’s a beautiful little seaside town in the south of France or a log cabin in the mountains of Denver. Whatever your dreams you can learn how to love your home and create your own paradise right now, where you live today, without uprooting your life!
Although it’s important to strive toward making your dreams a reality, you’ll live a happier existence in the meantime if you work to create your own paradise wherever you live in this moment in time.
Try some of these tips to ensure you’re living your best life in the here-and-now:
- Accept where you’re living. Whether you’re in a one-bedroom apartment or your great aunt’s condo downtown, for now, you’re calling it home. This is your own paradise for today. Tell yourself that you’re okay living where you live because it’s simply a stepping stone that will lead you to the place you want to be eventually. Meanwhile, be grateful and appreciative of where you live.
- Set the mood. Do you wish to lift your spirits and energy level when you walk through the door? If so, decorate with brighter coloured textiles in furniture, upholstery, and curtains. Have splashes of vivid art on the walls and keep in mind, less is more, avoid clutter.
- If you prefer to set a calm and tranquil tone in your own little heaven, use calmer colours like sage greens, beige, and mocha to present a more serene picture when you enter the room. Neutrals and earthy colours are easy on the eyes and interchangeable
- No matter where you live, you can set the mood you want by painting your walls and using evocative colours.
- Consider options for your comfort. Do you want different furniture pieces to make your space fit you better or be more comfortable? Maybe you need a more efficient desk to sit at when you’re working at home. Perhaps different lighting fixtures would help.
- The key to creating your sanctuary is to set up each room exactly how you want it. This can be done on a budget, too. You don’t have to invest a fortune to create the look and feel that you desire. Consignment shops and thrift stores can be great sources for inexpensive items for your new look.
- Learn to love the home you have. Find specific aspects of your space that bring you joy, peace and contentment. Maybe it’s the way the sun streams in the east window of the kitchen in the mornings. Or perhaps you enjoy the open layout between the kitchen, dining, and living room areas. Notice and take full advantage of what you do like about your home.
- Check out design websites, apps, and books for décor ideas. Look for inspiration such as furniture arrangement, carefully placed treasures, wall colours, and use of textiles to obtain the look and feel you want. Recognize that regardless of the size and location of your home, there are countless ways to alter the space to suit your tastes and introduce the qualities you want.
Show some love to yourself and your home by creating a sanctuary right where you live now. With just a few simple changes and a fresh perspective, you can create your own paradise no matter where you live! Love your home, love yourself and live in the moment.